Procedures & Regulations
Reading Room Rules
We are dedicated to making your research experience as rewarding and productive as possible. We ask you to cooperate with us to preserve the Archives & Special Collections’ materials for posterity by observing the following protocols:
- Researchers must register before entering the reading room.
- Researchers’ coats and outerwear, bags, binders, and folders will be temporarily stored in a locked office in the Library.
- Items permitted in the Reading Room include proof of identity, laptops (without case), tablets, paper, and pencils (only). Personal effects taken into the Reading Room, including notebooks and laptops, will be inspected as readers exit the Library.
- Researchers are required to register on their first visit to the Reading Room. Valid ID, such as a current University of Toronto card, a driver’s license, or other ID with a photograph, must be provided on their visit to verify identify.
- Food and beverages are not permitted anywhere in the Reading Room, including water.
- Cellphones must be on silent while in the reading room.
- Hands must be washed to remove oils, lotions, creams, and other skin products which can damage materials.
- Please avoid or reduce the use of perfume, cologne, and other scented products. Scented products release chemicals which can trigger serious health reactions in people with asthma, migraines, allergies or chemical sensitivities.
The following Reading Room Regulations need to be observed to ensure the long-term preservation of material. Under no circumstances can material leave the building.
- Materials are non-circulating and can only be used in the Reading Room.
- Only a laptop (without case) or pencil and paper for note taking purposes are permitted.
- Researchers will not rearrange material in boxes or in folders. Please advise staff if you suspect that material is not in the correct sequence.
- Material should be placed flat on tables, except in cases where bound objects require book cradles.
- Avoid placing anything on the documents or folders.
- When applicable, staff may request that researchers wear white cotton gloves to consult material.
- Do not remove photographs, negatives or slides from their protective sleeves.
- If necessary, use acid-free bookmarks provided to mark your place in a file.
- Please consult the Reproductions of Material page for rules on photographing and reproduction.
- Researchers should be prepared to present bags and briefcases for inspection when leaving the Reading Room.
- All material must be returned 15 minutes before closing.
For more information contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org